The famous Etruscan terracotta sarcophagus (so-called “Sarcophagus of Spouse”) is an example of the outstanding craft skills of the Etruscans. The artifact was found in 1881 in the Banditaccia necropolis in Cerveteri (antique Caere).
The object was purchased by Felice Bernabei – founder of the National Etruscan Museum – and consisted of over 400 pieces, which were then combined. The ashes of deceased spouses were laid in the sarcophagus.
The sarcophagus has the shape of a “banquet bed” (kline), on which there is a pair in a semi-reclining pose. The facility was built between 530 and 520 BCE and it certainly glowed with different colors. Currently, it can be admired in the Etruscan Museum Villa Giulia in Rome.