Earth and wooden Roman fortress - Castle Greg | Photo: Jakub Gajewski
An earth and wooden Roman fortress – Castle Greg – dating back to the early 80s of the 1st century CE, built during the expedition of Julius Agricola (Gnaeus Julius Agricola).
Located in the Harburn area, approximately 5 km southeast of West Calder, in West Lothian, Scotland.
Archaeological research carried out in 1852 showed two defensive ditches (about 5 m deep), supplemented with a wooden palisade. The remains of two wooden barracks, between which there was a well, were also found.
A typical Roman fortification was built to monitor the area, a base that housed 1-2 centuries.