Chapters
Located in present-day Bulgaria, approximately 50 kilometres from the capital city of Sofia, the mountain pass known as the Gate of Trajan (Bulgarian: Траянови врата) formed part of the Via Militaris, a Roman road constructed in the 1st century CE that connected the provinces of Thrace and Moesia Superior, and later linked the territories of the Eastern Roman Empire with the lands beyond its borders, commonly referred to as Barbaricum.
Initially unguarded, the pass was eventually fortified with a stronghold known either as Stipon or Trajan’s Gate, as it was traditionally believed to have been built during the reign of Emperor Trajan (98–117 CE). However, the earliest written references to the fortress date only to the late 3rd or early 4th century CE. Combined with the increasing threat posed by barbarian incursions during this period, this has led some historians to argue that the fortress was actually constructed several centuries after Trajan’s reign.
Fortifications
Although the surviving ruins today rise no more than five metres above the surrounding ground, the walls once reached heights of up to thirteen metres. The fortress consisted of two gate towers and a third tower situated in the southern part of the complex. These were connected by a curtain wall approximately ten metres high and more than two metres thick.
Because the fortress occupied the highest point of the mountain pass, the uneven terrain gave the complex the shape of an elongated pentagon. In addition to its main gate, flanked by the two principal towers, the walls contained five smaller postern gates. During a siege, these allowed the garrison to launch surprise sorties and conduct diversionary operations without being easily detected.
Perhaps the most remarkable feature of the fortress is the remains of an underground tunnel connecting it to a nearby river that supplied the garrison with fresh drinking water. Unfortunately, only the entrance to the tunnel survives today.
From Trajan to Basil, 986 CE
Gar
The fortress was garrisoned by approximately 120 soldiers. From the reign of Constantine the Great (306–337 CE) onward, these troops most likely belonged to the Limitanei, the frontier forces that generally possessed lower combat effectiveness than the empire’s field armies.
From its construction until the 10th century CE, the fortress rarely appeared in historical records. Nevertheless, its location on the frontier facing Barbaricum suggests that it almost certainly witnessed numerous clashes with invading peoples, including the Huns under Attila. During the more difficult periods of Eastern Roman history, the fortress changed hands several times and at various points came under the control of the Bulgarian Empire.
Trajan’s Gate entered recorded military history on 17 August 986, when Bulgarian forces decisively defeated the retreating army of the Eastern Roman Emperor Basil II, later known as the “Bulgar Slayer.”
Basil, who ruled from 976 to 1025 CE, is remembered as the emperor who ultimately crushed the power of Bulgaria after decades of warfare. His infamous epithet stemmed from his decision to blind thousands of Bulgarian prisoners captured following the decisive Battle of Kleidion in 1014 CE. Yet his eventual victory was far from inevitable, as demonstrated by the disastrous defeat he suffered at Trajan’s Gate in 986.
During the first decade of his reign, Basil was forced to suppress unrest elsewhere in the empire, allowing Bulgaria to recover much of the territory it had lost during conflicts with his predecessors. The Bulgarians succeeded in reclaiming extensive lands and even captured Larissa, the principal city of Thessaly in present-day Greece. This expansion prompted Basil to lead an army of between 15,000 and 20,000 soldiers toward Sofia, then known as Serdica. He secured his lines of communication with troops commanded by Leo Melissenos. Located in the heart of Bulgarian territory, the city would have served as an ideal base for further military operations.
The siege lasted only about twenty days before the imperial army ran dangerously short of supplies. Attempts to obtain provisions failed because the Bulgarians employed a scorched-earth strategy. To make matters worse, the city’s defenders launched a successful sortie that destroyed the Roman siege engines, while additional Bulgarian forces approached from the southeast.
Starvation, reports that Bulgarian reinforcements under the future Tsar Samuel were steadily closing in, and rumours that Leo Melissenos, who had independently withdrawn into imperial territory, intended to seize the throne, forced Basil to abandon the campaign. Around 14 August he left the outskirts of Sofia with his army, reaching the vicinity of Trajan’s Gate two days later.
During the night of 16–17 August 986, the Bulgarians attacked the Roman camp. Having followed the imperial army throughout its retreat, they were well aware of the enemy’s declining morale. The attackers succeeded in surrounding most of Basil’s forces. Only the vanguard detected the danger in time and escaped toward the pass. Most of the encircled soldiers were killed. Emperor Basil II himself survived only because a small detachment of elite Armenian infantry managed to escort him safely out of the camp.
The immediate consequence of the defeat was a serious political crisis within the Byzantine Empire. The aristocracy of Asia Minor, led by Bardas Phokas, commander of the eastern armies, rose in rebellion against Basil’s rule. Meanwhile, Bulgaria temporarily expanded its influence to the Adriatic coast and absorbed territories belonging to the defeated Serbian state. Years later, however, Basil returned to Bulgaria, decisively avenged his earlier defeat, and once again pushed the imperial frontier far beyond Trajan’s Gate.
Later history
The battle of 986 CE was the last major military engagement fought in the pass. Over time, the site gradually lost its strategic defensive importance. During the 15th century, the Ottoman authorities established the town of Palankata nearby to assume responsibility for guarding the pass, while the ruins of Trajan’s Gate slowly fell into decay.
According to historical accounts, the arch of the fortress’s main gate remained standing until the 19th century, although it has since disappeared completely.
On the etymology
As mentioned earlier, the exact date of the fortress’s construction remains uncertain. What is clear, however, is that its present name is not the original one. In antiquity, the mountain pass was known as Succi, while the fortress itself was called Stipon.
The latter name was most likely derived from the Greek words Sineon or Soneium, both related to stenos, meaning “narrow” or “passage”, or from the Latin verb stipare, meaning “to press together” or “to crowd.”
The later name Trajan’s Gate (also known during the Middle Ages as the Tsar’s or King’s Gate) appears to have originated in the writings of the historian Antonio Bonfini (1427–1502), who used it while describing the military campaign of King Władysław III of Poland (Władysław of Varna), whose army passed through the mountain pass in 1443.








